Friday, July 23, 2010

Utah Tour de Donut - Sat July 17

www.utahtourdedonut.org …  A fun idea that I was able to participate in.  I found the race advertised in a free biking paper when I ate at the Stoneground.  Got there by finding a coupon of buy one pizza get the second free.  Second one came in handy when I had to work until 10PM on Thursday.  But because we worked late, we didn’t have to work on Saturday.  So I changed my flight to 1:35PM to come home which left me just enough time to do the ride in the morning.  Now where would I get a bike to ride?  One of guys who I was working with had bike that he hadn’t ridden in a few years due to recovery from some surgery.  Paul’s a serious fisherman with fishing licenses for almost every state within driving and flying range of Utah including Alaska!!!  So he needed to head down to Cabela’s which was near American Forks where the local Rotary Club was running the race for their fundraising.  He dropped the bike off and picked it up which worked our great for me.  Thanks Paul!!!!

The race was fun but not very challenging.  If I get my phone syncing back to my PC I might even be able for post photos…
-          I saw the winner of the last two years (ate 28 donuts)
-          Talked with a rider on the skull candy team.  This is a local headphone manufacturer whose stuff you can find in most electronic stores.  Cool bike uniforms.
-          Talked with a guy from One-on-One Marketing whose firm was a key sponsor of the ride.  Lives up in the mountains and works in the valley which I didn’t think too many people did.
-          Rode all 21 miles with a short detour to view Lake Utah 
-          Oh yeah, I had 4 donuts, 2 between each of the 3 laps.

Made it to the airport in plenty of time.  First class to Phoenix was nice as I got a couple of beers in me before taking the long flight back to PGH.  Lisa and I stopped off at Mad Mex for a quick Pennsylvania Fried Tofu and beer before heading home.



No comments: