Friday, July 2, 2010

July 1, 2010 - Bike Vail Pass and Hail Storm


My busiest day!!!

I rented a Giant Defy 2 yesterday so I was all ready to leave at 7:30AM and start my bike trip over Vail Pass to Copper.  I leave Bachelor Gulch and head up Rt 6.  Turns out the wind was blowing from the east and I was heading west to make the toughest part of the trip.  I go through Vail amazed at the fancy homes and golf courses.  I head up old Rt 6 which then turns into a bike trail along side Interstate 70.  Exhausted I reach the top of Vail Pass and head down over into Copper where Lisa will picks me up.  Trip took 4 hours, I like the climb up but I had to stop a few times.  Ride down to Copper is beautiful with most of the trail in between Interstate 70.  Check out my route on Bikely.




Lisa and I head over to Empire to meet Dan and Becky for lunch and then to head over to Rocky Mountain National Park.  The internet pointed us to the 'Hard Rock Cafe' which claims to be the original.  It was closed for the day for some unknown reason but Jenny's was open.  Nice Buffalo Burger and Dutch Apple Pie.

Well it is pouring rain when we leave Jenny's so Dan and Becky get their leathers on and wait a few minutes.  We head up Rt 40 and it clears up about 5 miles down the road.  But we get up to Berthold Pass or Berthoud Pass (Continental Divide) and it starts to rain, 45 F temperature and really miserable.  We head down the pass and get into a hail storm.  I pull over to try to call Dan but in a few minutes they pull over right next to me.  They decide head home but we continue on.  In Winter Park, a deluge happens so Lisa and I decide to head back and check out the hiking trail along one of the switch backs going up the pass.

Research trail...

We head back home stopping in 'Historic' Georgetown just a few miles past Empire.  Actually enjoyed the shops.  Lisa found earrings, they had a nice ice cream and popcorn shop, glass shop with a wine stopper and earrings also, and a interesting  photographer. We then headed back to Avon with the idea of finding a pizza to take back to the timeshare.  As soon as we reached Avon, the sky opened up again and we were driving around trying to find a place.  Lisa spotted Pazzo's where we had a Fat Tire while watch the energetic kids behind the counter make the pizza.

No comments: